Thursday, January 5, 2012

A Hai Zi Poem

Facing The Ocean, Where Spring Flowers Blossom


Starting tomorrow I will be a happy man.
Take care of horses. Chop firewood. Travel around the world.
Starting tomorrow, I will provide myself with what I need to live.
I will have a house. It will face the ocean, where the spring flowers blossom.
Starting tomorrow, I'll write letters to everyone I love
Telling them how happy I am. 
This happiness hit me like a bolt of lightning. What it told me
I will tell everyone.
And give every river and every mountain a goodhearted name.
Strangers: I wish you well.
I hope you have a brilliant future.
I hope you find true love.
I hope you have a happy life.
I only hope to face the ocean, where the spring flowers blossom.


(1989) Tr. Zachary Mexico, 2012

1 comment:

  1. More information about this poet may be found at this entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hai_Zi

    ReplyDelete