Wednesday, July 2, 2014

POEM: "From A Tired News Agent"

From A Tired News Agent


How does the news improve your day?
Let me count the ways. The sun rises at 6:05.
Killing Myanmar. Killing Ukraine. My great-grandson
Graduates from university with an accounting degree.
I've been reading crime for 60 years. It's not journalism.
There is corruption in high places. Pretty girls are sexy.
The world grows warmer. People grow more vicious.
Poisoned watermelons. Record monsters caught in the deep.
Worse than it's ever been. Better than it's ever been.
You're as smart as they let you be. My faded eyesight
Has turned inward. I read the furrows on every brow.

The cars are double-parked. Everyone piles out.
There's no reason for the changes to be worse.
I don't know why you're reading this.



© 2014 Rob Schackne

No comments:

Post a Comment