Monday, February 8, 2016

POEM: "A Letter to Kay"



A Letter to Kay


Sure. And you’ve got nothing better to do
than to read about poets in the madhouse
(whereas I’ll admit I’m quite delighted
there are a number of better situations
I’d rather be in) even though it’s true people
are not the same. The same! Delete immediately.

And I know the moments you’re teaching
the younger adults how to think. To think!
Delete immediately. And it gives me hope
& broad pleasure (spread across my face)
to share a similar pejorative employment
searching for words & books that are not there.

Sure. And how it’s strange when poets
forget everything they know. The poets!
And I remember the sun on my fountain pen
when I daydreamed in class! Delete immediately.
Nothing better (I thought) than smart shapely women
and (failing that) the thousand poems they would read.


© 2016 Rob Schackne

No comments:

Post a Comment