Sunday, June 21, 2015

POEM: "Deuteroscopy"



Deuteroscopy

                        The severe schools shall never laugh me out of the philosophy of Hermes.
                              Sir Thomas Browne, 1643



Yea all severe schools take turns
to prosecute to judge to sentence
the sentences that attach the words


with chains set round our ankles but
take it easy it takes us out of the glue
hands free the mind enter hermetic


get into the car go to the supermarket
where in the floating aisles I’m reading

all the letters I need spread for islands 

editor of the severe school see her smile
Hermes stacking shelves I hear him sing
the unridiculous side is always falling

caught between the stretch and the slide
so surely it's a severe school to be a poet

to take the second look at everything

the product the loving the alchemy
bid me go on in a more lasting story
a friend tries to laugh me out of it.


© 2015 Rob Schackne

No comments:

Post a Comment